Sunday, August 9, 2009

What Famous People Think of Fashion

“I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes. I had one thousand and sixty.”
-Imelda Marcos


“A fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it every six months.”
-Oscar Wilde


“All the American women had purple noses and gray lips and their faces were chalk white from terrible powder. I recognized that the United States could be my life's work.”
-Helena Rubinstein


“A designer is only as good as the star who wears her clothes.”
-Edith Head


“About half my designs are controlled fantasy, 15 percent are total madness and the rest are bread-and-butter designs.”
-Manolo Blahnik


“When in doubt, wear red.”
-Bill Blass


“I don't do fashion, I am fashion.”
-Coco Chanel


“They think him the best dressed man, whose dress is so fit for his use that you cannot notice or remember to describe it.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


“A good model can advance fashion by ten years.”
-Yves Saint Laurent


“I don't design clothes. I design dreams.”
-Ralph Lauren


“A woman's dress should be like a barbed- wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.”
-Sophia Loren


“Fashion is architecture. It is a matter of proportions.”
-Coco Chanel


“The goal I seek is to have people refine their style through my clothing without having them become victims of fashion.”
-Giorgio Armani


“Be not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.”
-Alexander Pope


“I like fashion to go down to the street, but I can't accept that it should originate there.”
-Coco Chanel


“In difficult times fashion is always outrageous.”
-Elsa Schiaparelli


“Fashion anticipates, and elegance is a state of mind ... a mirror of the time in which we live, a translation of the future, and should never be static.”
-Oleg Cassini


“The novelties of one generation are only the resuscitated fashions of the generation before last.”
-George Bernard Shaw


“Fashion is more usually a gentle progression of revisited ideas.”
-Bruce Oldfield


“Fashion is the science of appearances, and it inspires one with the desire to seem rather than to be.”
-Edwin Hubbel


“I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch.”
-Gilda Radner


“Chanel is composed of only a few elements, white camellias, quilted bags and Austrian doorman's jackets, pearls, chains, shoes with black toes. I use these elements like notes to play with.”
-Karl Lagerfeld


“Art produces ugly things which frequently become beautiful with time. Fashion, on the other hand, produces beautiful things which always become ugly with time.”
-Jean Cocteau


“Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.”
-Quentin Crisp


“The dress must follow the body of a woman, not the body following the shape of the dress.”
-Hubert de Givenchy


“Fashion is something barbarous, for it produces innovation without reason and imitation without benefit.”
-George Santayana


“Today, fashion is really about sensuality—how a woman feels on the inside. In the '80s women used suits with exaggerated shoulders and waists to make a strong impression. Women are now more comfortable with themselves and their bodies—they no longer feel the need to hide behind their clothes.”
-Donna Karan


“Respect is love in plain clothes.”
-Frankie Byrne


“Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.”
-Henry J. Kaiser


“The lamb began to follow the wolf in sheep’s clothing.”
-Aesop


“Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


“She wears her clothes as if they were thrown on witha pitchfork.
-Jonathan Swift


“When his wife asked him to change clothes to meet the German Ambassador: If they want to see me, here I am. If they want to see my clothes, open my closet and show them my suits.”
-Albert Einstein


“Clothes don’t make a man, but clothes have got many a man a good job.”
-Herbert Harold Vreeland

“Only men who are not interested in women are interested in women's clothes. Men who like women never notice what they wear.”
-Anatole France


“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing."
-Dave Barry


“While clothes may not make the woman, they certainly have a strong effect on her self-confidence — which, I believe, does make the woman."
-Mary Kay Ashe


“The dress is a vase which the body follows. My clothes are like modules in which bodies move.”
-Pierre Cardin


“I wear my sort of clothes to save me the trouble of deciding which clothes to wear.”
-Katharine Hepburn


“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain


“The expression a woman wears on her face is more important than the clothes she wears on her back.”
-Dale Carnegie


----------
Wow! Great fashion statements!


Where to find MORE about fashion? Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertainment Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

JS-Kit Comments